A Despite its French name, this soup was not born in Vichy, the French city located almost in the center of the country.
Vichyssoise was created by a French chef named Louis Diat in 1917.worked for the Ritz-Carlton hotel in Manhattan.
In an interview with its creator Louis Diat, he said he remembered a thick soup of leeks and potatoes from childhood, his grandmother prepared it.
Who invented the vichyssoise?
Louis Diat recalled in the interview that he and his brother cooled it down by adding milk, so they could start eating earlier.
Being far from his country and his hometown Montmaraultthe chef remembered the recipe and served it at the Ritz hotel, he called it vichyssoise glaséé.
The vichyssoise became very famous, it was the favorite soup of the Sarah Delano Roosevelt the mother of the former President of the United States between 1933 and 1945, Franklin D. Roosevelt.
The recipe is published in his book “Cooking a la Ritz” from 1941. From 1918 cold soup was served at the hotel during the summer but in the winter it was taken off the charter.
However, many people also requested it in the winter, such as Franklin D. Roosevelt’s mother who even called the hotel to ask him to send her soup rations. Faced with such success of his soup, Louis Diat decides to leave the Vichyssoise as a fixed à la carte dish throughout the year.
Vitamins and nutrients provided by leeks and potatoes, (main ingredients of the recipe)
Both are cheap, healthy and low calorie ingredients, They provide carbohydrates, fiber, vitamins and minerals.
The potato has the reputation of “making you fat”, however it depends on your method of preparation. The potato itself is not an over-the-top vegetable caloric has 88 calories(of course if we compare it with an asparagus which has 18 calories, the potato is more caloric).
An Apple considered a healthy food It contains 53 calories per 100g serving. Potato has 35 more calories than one apple (53 vs. 88) per serving, so let’s demystify this food.
What makes you fat is for example fries in oil because the oil provides calories, (100 g of fries contain between 250 and 320 calories). We review the nutrients provided by 100 g of uncooked potatoes.
- Calories, (88 Kcal)
- Protein, (2.5g)
- Carbohydrates (18g)
- Fiber, (2g)
- Water, (77.3g)
- Fat, (0.2g)
- Calcium, (9mg)
- Iron, (0.6mg)
- Iodine, (3mg)
- Potassium, (570mg)
- Vitamin C, (18mg)
- Vitamin E, (0.1mg)
- Vitamin B1, (0.1mg)
- Vitamin B2, (0.004mg)
- Vitamin B3 (1.5mg)
- Vitamin B9 (12ug)
- Magnesium, (25mg)
- Phosphorus, (50mg)
- Sodium, (7mg)
- Zinc (0.3mg)
The leek is very light due to its high water content (87%), it provides 48 calories per 100 g portion.
- Protein, (2g)
- Carbohydrates (7.5g)
- Fiber, (3g)
- Fat, (0.4g)
- Calcium, (60mg)
- Iron, (1mg)
- Iodine, (10mg)
- Potassium, (471mg)
- Vitamin A (123 micrograms/ug)
- Vitamin C, (20mg)
- Vitamin E, (0.7mg)
- Vitamin B1, (0.05mg)
- Vitamin B2, (0.03mg)
- Vitamin B3 (0.6mg)
- Vitamin B9 (127ug)
- Magnesium, (18mg)
- Phosphorus, (50mg)
- Sodium, (26mg)
- Zinc (0.23mg)
easy vichyssoise recipe
- Leeks – 3 units
- Potatoes – 5 units
- Butter – 1 tbsp
- Onion – 1 unit
- Chicken broth – 1 liter
- Milk – 200ml
- Cream for cooking or evaporated milk – 100 ml
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Nutmeg – a pinch
- Chopped chives – one tablespoon
- Olive oil- optional to garnish
Two options, quick and easy version in the pressure cooker and traditional version
in a pressure cooker
- Wash and peel the vegetables, cut them into pieces.
- Add a tablespoon of butter to the pressure cooker and cook the onion and leeks for 8 minutes with the pan open.
- Then add the peeled and cut potatoes, nutmeg, chicken broth and milk. Allow 15 minutes.
- Let rest jar until you can open it without difficulty.
- In the same pot, you can use the hand blender or the “minipimer” to mash all the ingredients (or if you prefer, take it out of the pot into another container and mash).
- Add the cream or evaporated milk, salt and pepper and blend once more to combine well.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with chopped chives and olive oil.
- In this option we use a bit more caldor since more is lost in cooking, 1.5 liters.
- Wash and peel the vegetables and cut them into pieces.
- Add the butter to the pot or pan leeks and chopped onion. cook for about 8 minutes.
- Then add the potatoes, nutmeg and chicken broth.
- Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Just like we did in the option with the pressure cooker. nowMix the ingredients with the immersion blender.
- Add the milk, cream, pepper and salt and mix.
- Serve with chopped chives and a drizzle of virgin olive oil.
- Leeks, (only the white part) – 4 units
- Medium potatoes – 2 units
- Coconut milk – 300ml
- Vegetable broth – 700 ml
- Mild-tasting olive oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Pepper – a pinch
- we start cut the green part of the leeks, wash them, drain them and cut them into thin slices. We only use the white part.
- Add sweet olive oil to a pana, Heat over medium heat.
- Add the chopped leeks, reduce the heat to minimum and cook for 8-10 minutes or until you notice the leeks are tender.
- Peel and cut the potato into cubes, add to the pan with vegetable broth.
- Cook for 30 minutes, lightly covering the container and cook over low heat.
- Prick the potatoes to make sure they are cooked.
- Leave to cool a little, in the same pan you can use an immersion blender, mix until you obtain a homogeneous cream.
- to addand coconut milk, salt and pepper.
- Mingle a few seconds in the blender.
- Taste and adjust the salt point.
- Let the soup rest before serving.
- Accompanied by a drizzle of virgin olive oil, homemade croutons and a little chopped chives.
You might also like
Andalusian gazpacho without bread step by step
Did you like the easy vichyssoise recipe? Follow us on Facebook and you will discover other interesting recipes.