Diet is one of the most important aspects of enjoying good health over the years. Choosing what you eat is essential to do it in a balanced way, satisfying all your body’s nutritional needs without going hungry and, at the same time, maintaining an appropriate weight for age and height. On the other hand, in addition to carefully selecting the ingredients of the recipes, it is also important to properly distribute the quantities to be consumed of each food. Depending on what they bring to the body, you must adjust so that your diet is as healthy as it is complete. In this sense, the balanced plate method is a good resource to achieve this.
To know everything about the plate method, what is it and recipeson oneHOWTO, we recommend that you continue reading this article.
What is the plate method
Wondering what is the plate method? The plate method is a visual tool with which you can eat in a healthy and balanced way. This resource was developed in 2014 by the Harvard University Department of Public Health, based on very recent scientific evidence. This method indicates that following the plate diet of healthy fats, vegetables, protein, and whole grains reduces the risk of weight gain and chronic disease.
In practice, the Harvard Healthy Plate Method consists of divide the balanced plates of your main mealsi.e. lunch and dinner as follows:
- Half of the plate (50%) must be made up of vegetables, raw in salads, sautéed, boiled or mashed.
- You should supplement 25% with carbohydrate-rich foods: grains, such as rice or pasta (preferably whole grains), tubers or legumes.
- In the remaining 25% of the plate, you should add protein foods, such as fish, eggs or white meat, as well as vegetarian options (tofu, seitan or tempeh).
Plate Method Recipes
Are you interested in applying the Harvard Plate Method to your diet and not sure where to start? On oneHOWTO we help you with the following recipes.
Rice with artichokes and cuttlefish
To make this craft, you will need approx. 1 hour of cooking and the following ingredients:
- Rice (preferably brown).
- Green peas.
- Sliced mushrooms.
- Vegetable broth or water.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
stages of the preparation:
- Cut the cuttlefish into several slices and, after having drained it and dried it well, brown it in a pan, adding a little olive oil.
- Cut the onion into small pieces and sauté it with the slices of cuttlefish. When the onion begins to brown, add the artichoke previously diced and the sliced mushrooms.
- Add the peas to the sauce.
- Add water or vegetable broth when the vegetables begin to soften.
- Finally, add the rice and let it cook with the rest of the ingredients. When everything is cooked and the broth has been absorbed, you can serve it on the plate.
chicken pasta salad
The preparation time for this recipe is also 1 hour about. The Ingredients needed They are:
- Wheat pasta.
- Cherry tomatoes.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
stages of the elaboration:
- Add whole wheat pasta to a boil.
- While the pasta is cooking, add a little olive oil to a pan to brown the chicken with the cherry tomatoes.
- After cooking, wait for the pasta, chicken and cherry tomatoes to cool to room temperature.
- In a bowl, add all the ingredients when hot.
- Finally, season the salad with a pinch of salt and a little olive oil. Mix the dressing with the rest of the ingredients and you can now serve the salad on a plate.
Other Recipes for the Plate Method
to exist more interesting recipes with which you can follow the plate method, such as the following:
- Fried sweet potato with egg and Swiss chard.
- Shrimp quinoa wok.
- Zucchini and tuna cannelloni.
- Zucchini stuffed with textured soy.
- Bean stew with rabbit.
- Buckwheat with poached egg.
- Steamed hake.
- Fried spinach with bread and egg.
Menu of the week for the plate method
To apply the healthy plate method, we provide you with examples for a full weekon oneHOWTO, we have the following weekly menu idea for you:
- Lunch: broccoli with sautéed onion and pumpkin + brown rice garnish and grilled pork loin.
- Dinner: Kale salad with avocado, cherry tomatoes, cream cheese, hard-boiled egg, carrot, and toast.
- Lunch: cucumber and tomato salad with fresh basil + rabbit with garlic and parsley and baked potatoes.
- Dinner: grilled eggplant and zucchini + grilled chopped cuttlefish with lemon and garlic and a side of boiled couscous.
- Lunch: vegetable stew and boiled potato + grilled cod with parsley.
- Dinner: salad of lettuce shoots, can of tuna and onions with spirals of boiled wholemeal pasta.
- Lunch: spinach salad with red pepper, carrot and radish with boiled wholemeal pasta + grilled tuna with parsley and garlic.
- Dinner: Brussels sprouts and baked carrots with a fried egg and boiled quinoa.
- Lunch: chicken stew with boiled potatoes and vegetables (green pepper, carrot, onion, natural tomato and zucchini).
- Dinner: potato salad with tomato and green pepper + grilled hake with garlic and parsley.
- Lunch: lamb’s lettuce, boiled lentils, baked cucumber with tomato and grilled veal tenderloin.
- Dinner: Scrambled eggs with shrimp, sautéed mushrooms and onions, spring garlic and toast.
- Lunch: zucchini noodles with carrot and tomato + baked chicken with boiled chickpeas.
- Dinner: baked sole with baked potatoes and escalivada.
Now that you know what the healthy plate method is, you also need to adopt good habits, which is why in this OneHowTo article we teach you how to lead a healthy life.
This article is purely informative, on oneHOW we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatment or make any diagnosis. We urge you to see a doctor if you experience any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to The plate method: what it is and the recipeswe recommend that you enter our Healthy Living category.
- Harvard School of Public Health TH Chan (1913). The plate for healthy eating (Spanish – Spain)