The miso It is a paste obtained from soy (alone or accompanied by some cereals such as rice, barley or rye) fermented with sea salt.
To do this, the soybeans are cooked with the chosen cereal, inoculated (or infected) with mold rhizopus (Koji), salt then leave a lactic fermentation It can last from a few months to several years.
5 supermarket sauces that are healthier if you make them at home
There is no one type of misoIndeed, the longer the fermentation time, the more intense the flavor of the pasta will be.
How many varieties of miso are there?
- hacho miso: made from soybeans.
- Komé Miso: made from white rice and soy.
- mugi miso: based on barley and soy (contains gluten).
- Soba miso: made from buckwheat and soy.
- Genmai Miso: made from brown rice and soybeans.
- Miso Natto: made with ginger and soybeans.
This ferment has found a niche in Western cuisine, not only because of the integration of Japanese cuisine, but also because it can be used for lots of different recipes.
Below you can read a collection of 5 best recipes with miso (all very different from each other):
1. Miso soup
the rthe most famous miso recipe It is the soup and it is found in almost all the menus of Japanese restaurants as a starter.
To do it at home it’s very simple, we offer you this version Business Insider Spain. You have to buy the miso paste you prefer, but some are already prepared with dried seaweed to make your soup (eg Mercadona).
Ingredients for making miso soup
- shiitake mushrooms
- masta miso
How to make miso soup step by step:
- Put an egg on and let it cook while you do the rest of the steps.
- In a saucepan, start sautéing the chopped leek with the shiitake mushrooms.
- When they are golden brown, add a little water so that they don’t stick and put an envelope of your miso paste and stir well so that everything takes on flavor.
- Then add the tofu cut into small cubes and add water. (Go experiment with the amount until you find your point that isn’t too runny or too strong).
- If you had to put the seaweed aside because it wasn’t incorporated into your miso paste, now is the time.
- Stir and cook over medium-low heat, it does not need to boil.
- Finally put the egg in, don’t harden it as it is, leaving it for about 7 minutes will be perfect for it to have some consistency but the yolk is a bit loose. It will give an incredible touch to the dish.
- Serve in your favorite bowl and voila!
- Very easy and super nutritious.
2. Miso cookies and Peanut Butter
Yes, it seems amazing after knowing what is miso include it in a sweet recipebut the truth is that it is a perfect element.
If you are a fan of Asian cuisine, you cannot miss this TikTok account: these are the 5 classics that you must know how to cook
It’s a super simple recipe, yes, it’s to eat once in a while, but without a doubt, it’s a special dessert and it comes from the recipe blog of Laura Ochoa.
Ingredients for making miso cookies:
- 1 and 3/4 cups loose flour (whole wheat, spelled or oat flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (you can use baking soda)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup panela
- 100 g of butter at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons mild miso
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
How to make miso cookies step by step:
- In a bowl, put the flour and mix it with the baking soda and baking powder.
- In another bowl, mix the beaten egg with the vanilla extract, the peanut butter, the miso and finally the butter and the panela.
- Now, pour little by little and without ceasing to stir, the bowl with the liquid elements in that with the flour.
- Once you have the dough, put it in the fridge overnight.
- Clever! The next day, you can make balls with the dough and place them on the baking sheet.
- Remember to preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Put the balls in the oven for 15 minutes, lowering the temperature to 170º.
- Remember to leave some space because they take up a lot of volume.
3. Leeks with miso
Eating vegetables is not boring and even less if they have as much flavor as these leeks with miso sauce. This is a Veronica recipe, perfect to accompany any dish.
Ingredients to make leeks with miso sauce:
- 3 leeks
- Miso (vero recipe uses Hatcho Miso)
- Salt and pepper
- sliced almonds
- lime zest
How to make leeks in miso sauce step by step:
- Discard the leek branch and cut the rest into cylinders of about 1.5 cm.
- Put them in a pan with olive oil over medium heat and let them brown on both sides.
- Add a splash of water and cover the pan. Cook for about 10 minutes over low-medium heat.
- Add a piece of miso (to taste, add a portion the size of a walnut) and stir. Add more water if it’s too dry. Cover again and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and observe the texture of the sauce. It shouldn’t be as liquid anymore but more viscous. Otherwise, let reduce for a few minutes without the lid.
- When you get this consistency, smooth! You already know it.
- To serve, place the leek on a plate and drizzle with miso sauce.
- To finish, add the Za’taar, lime zest and rolled almonds on top.
4. Salty porridge
The porridgethey don’t always have to be soft, in fact this is a blog version of Laura Ochoa, in which you use miso and vegetable broth and even mushrooms to prepare it. Precise!
Ingredients to make porridge salted miso:
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon of miso
- 1 egg
- 7/8 shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cabbage leaf
- A handful of seaweed mix
- Sesame seeds (to garnish)
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon of butter
- Salt and pepper to taste.
How to do porridge salted miso step by step:
- In a saucepan, put the broth and the tablespoon of miso over medium-high heat without boiling, and stir well until the miso dissolves.
- Add the rolled oats and lower the heat. Let reduce until you have this pasty texture of the porridge.
- In a frying pan, put a little butter and brown the shiitake mushrooms cut into strips and the kale over medium heat, until golden brown.
- Remove it to a plate and in the same pan make the grilled egg and add a little salt, pepper and the chili flakes.
- Now combine all the ingredients in the same bowl and add the toppings: mixture of seaweed, grilled sesame and a pinch of chili flakes.
5. Miso Brown Chicken Wings
These juicy wings are from the blog of kitchen circle and they will leave you and your guests with their mouths hanging open.
Ingredients for making miso chicken wings:
- 1 kg of chicken wings
- 2 tablespoons miso paste
- 4 tablespoons of honey
- 120g unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Japanese chili oil (or a spicy oil)
- Sesame seeds
- Salt and pepper
- Cooking oil (preferably in spray)
How to make miso chicken wings step by step:
- Start by preparing the sauce for the wings.
- In a skillet, melt the butter over medium heat, you’ll know it’s ready when it turns golden brown.
- Add miso paste, soybeans, honey and chili oil. Stir well so that the ingredients are blended and fully incorporated, then remove it from the pan and allow it to cool completely.
- Once it has cooled and thickened, stir well to create a smooth sauce.
- Pat the wings dry, season with salt and pepper, and lightly spray them with cooking oil. You can do them by air fryer at approximately 190°C for 12 minutes on each side.
- When the wings are golden brown and crispy, mix them with your sauce. Garnish with sesame seeds and serve with lemon wedges for everyone to add their own twist.
With this you can start cooking different miso dishes to give this fermented product full of nutrients and perfect for your microbiota a chance.